Thursday, August 13, 2009

rock city

Today I dropped B off at the airport. He'll be in Detroit for 3 weeks...and in just 5 days I'll be there too!
I've been grilling him on the local culture, but I still don't really know what to expect..which is all the more reason why i can't wait to go!
In my mind, everyone lives in the suburbs, which are now old and look like the houses from Gran Torino. There's gangs, but all they do is spit rhymes, tag old empty warehouses and try to steal old people's cars. Everyone has some link to the auto industry, if they aren't directly involved in it already. Everyone is really into the local sports teams, and if you call Michigan state "michigan" you get beat up eminem style. You'll likely be eating "all-American" more than anything else (no sushi or micro greens). Anything north of Detroit is "up north". For fun, there are a lot of things to do...most common? watching sports, golfing, drinking, and playing euchre, vandalizing community art. The city is also birthplace to a bunch of awesome bands including the white stripes, and my personal favorite...Kid Rock.
But, despite the preconceptions, I think the D's gonna be fuuun!
My Bay friend Andra is living there now (Hope we meet up!) Here is a link to her beautiful blog.
Her pictures are awesome, and give me a much different view of the city and state. Check it out.
So, anyway...Go Tigers! and Pistons! and Lions! and...State! and anyone else I missed!

3 comments:

  1. Haha. Yeah you're pretty much right except:
    1.) There is great SUSHI HERE.
    2.) White Stripes are WAY COOLER than Kid Rock

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol--yesss..sushhhiii:)
    umm yeeeahh white stripes are better...but kid rock is way more fun to make fun of

    ReplyDelete
  3. GRR! You better be having fun in Michigan. How dare you put your feelings before mine! Have you even thought about how boring my days have been because I don't have YOU to gchat with. Well, have you?! Why are you being so selfish LAINYBIRD?! WHY! Sigh. I hope you're having fun though wink.

    ReplyDelete