Thursday, July 23, 2009

Learning to Drive the CLUTCH!

"I ain't got no car....and I can't drive stick...I only ever learned to drive automatiiiiicccc..."
This is the beginning of a blues song i just made up for myself...The raw emotions of a gal who crashed her car, can't fix it, and now has to learn to drive stick really fast so she can borrow someone else's car for a month! (my guitar gently weeps)
But, I'm actually really excited(no, not about the crash...)! I should have learned to drive stick years ago...
When I was 15 I picked up a few stick shifting skills...
I was on high school exchange in France and my host-mom, Martine, used to take me into the hills around Auvergne to go hiking. She loves to hike, and there are so many remote, beautiful spots in Puy de Dome. It was once an active volcano so the landscape is really green and the soil is rich. Geographically though, it's not so convenient, so the region of farmers was sort of left to itself.
We were coming back from a hike one day, driving on an empty little road that wrapped around a small vineyard, and Martine must've been in a daring kind of mood, because she asked me if I wanted to learn to drive. "Heck yeah!" my 15 yr. old self said to her in French (how do you say? heck oui?) I jumped in the driver's seat and took off...sputtering around the vineyard. I really felt like I was getting good (i was 15...so probably not), but I got nervous when I had to break and almost ran straight into another car , though being the cautious driver I was, I never really got over 10 mph...
That was the last time I touched a stick shift...
Ahh the memories...
So wish me luck! I hope I remember something, or driving in San Francisco is going to be a biaaattcch.

1 comment:

  1. "That just kinda kills me. In a...wanting to kill someone way." You're so funny and I love reading your blog. A new obsession oh hey hey! Good luck tomorrow with that shifting. It can be mighty stressful. I don't know why people like to stick it in the city? I know way too many people that do. And now you're becoming one.

    ReplyDelete